Importantly Hattie emphasises that teachers make a difference, and goes on to point out the differences between expert teachers and merely experienced ones, based on empirical research, for once. He identified five major dimensions of excellent teachers. Expert teachers:
- can identify essential representations of their subject,
- can guide learning through classroom interactions,
- can monitor learning and provide feedback,
- can attend to affective attributes, and
- can influence student outcomes.