Saturday 14 July 2012

GOOD FRIENDS!

"Good friends are like stars.
You can't always see them 
but they are always there."

It was really great to see a lot of old friends and colleagues yesterday when I was in Leeds and everyone I spoke to talked passionately and sadly about Education Leeds and the incredible culture we created within the organization and how much they missed it. It was a unique and special culture which won awards and recognition locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. A unique and special culture based on high expectations, self-esteem, efficacy, trust, openness and honesty. But interestingly, a unique and special culture based on a relentless and uncompromising search for excellence.

And again, everyone I met in Leeds, from colleagues and friends to officers and politicians, talked about people; important people and people they missed....children and young people, people in their teams, people in schools and people who had contributed on the journey. People like Lou Tice, Ken Robinson and Mick Waters. People like Ian Harrison and Parin Bahl. People like Deborah Hibberd, Mike Viner, Rosemary Smith, Ruth Baldwin and Sonia Sharp. People like Colin Bell and John Daulby. And of course Dave Dickinson and Dirk Gilleard, these two great colleagues, who were with me at the end.


I have visited some great schools since I left Education Leeds and wherever I have been I have found the same common factors; all of which are associated with ordinary people doing extraordinary things!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More than anything else, feedback helps us improve and develop.
So, please let me know what you think?
Chris