Students work together on academic tasks in small groups to help themselves and their teammates learn together. In general, cooperative learning methods share the following five characteristics.
- Student work together on common tasks or learning activities that are best handled through group work.
- Students work together in small groups containing two to five members.
- Students use cooperative, pro-social behavior to accomplish their common tasks or learning activities.
- Students are positively interdependent. Activities are structured so that students need each other to accomplish their common tasks or learning activities.
- Students are individually accountable or responsible for their work or learning."