In their report ‘The Forgotten Half’, produced for The Private Equity Foundation, Demos outlined a series of recommendations to help young people thrive and succeed; focusing on the employability skills, character, literacy and numeracy they need to succeed in work and life; giving them the support they need to stay on track and the experience of the world of work alongside mentoring.
The essential labour market preparation that should be delivered by schools lies at the heart of the Cutlers' 'Better Learners, Better Workers' programme we are developing in Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield. It provides targeted young people with opportunities to:
- Develop core literacy and numeracy skills;.
- Learn and develop academic skills learned through vocational contexts;
- Engage in creative activities that build ‘soft skills’ and ‘character capabilities’ through practical learning, enterprise and entrepreneurship, and community-based learning;
- Experience high quality experience of the world of work including:
- opportunities for high-quality practical and vocational learning;
- the teaching of specific ‘employability skills’ like CV writing and interview techniques;
- meaningful work experience;
- school coaching and business mentoring;
- business engagement in education;
- high quality information, advice and guidance on work and careers.