Culture is 'how we do things around here' and divides into three aspects that are inextricably linked:
- Assumptions: beliefs, perceptions, thoughts and feelings.
- Values: goals, strategies and philosophies.
- Systems: visible, day-to-day organisational structures and processes.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate: communicate passionately and personally to ensure that everyone understands the new cultural values and how they are aligned to the organisation’s strategic direction.
- Organise, organize, organize: develop events and activities where everyone can engage directly with the cultural change and understand how their role will support the organisation’s future success
- Lead, lead, lead: establish a leadership programme where everyone can measure their actions and behaviours against those expected in the new culture.
- Feedback, feedback, feedback: change reward and performance measurement systems to encourage the demonstration of new shared values.
- Manage, manage, manage: revise management processes so that recruitment, induction, development and evaluation practices incorporate the new shared values.
- Create, create, create: adapt beautiful systems, processes and procedures to reinforce the new culture.