If you read 'Teaching the Elephant to Dance', you'll learn that organisations are like elephants--slow to change. That empowered and trusted people create change and that strong and determined leadership is needed to create the future. That change requires a powerful and compelling vision that focuses and energises people to embrace that new vision for the future. That participation empowers change and beautiful systems are needed to reinforce the vision and most importantly that actions matter!
Importantly, as experience and hard knocks teach you, in the world of change management you have to anticipate the obstacles...
- Obstacle 1--It always takes longer that you think
- Obstacle 2--Exaggerated expectations...... everyone wants everything, now!
- Obstacle 3--Carping skeptics are everywhere
- Obstacle 4--Procrastination is endemic
- Obstacle 5--Perfect solutions don't exist
- To mark the passing of the old way of doing things
- Develop shared activities built around the new vision
- Develop shared sayings around the new vision
- Use stories about colleagues who using the new vision
- Handle difficult issues using the new vision