Monday 9 January 2012

Why do we do this?

I saw this wonderful letter in the TES and wanted to share it with you as a reminder of why we do what we do... especially those facing mad Michael!
"I swapped the rat race for the chalk face about 18 months ago. I did so because of a belief in the power of education. I am sure everybody involved in education shares this belief, but sometimes I think we fail to see the wood for the trees. We become exhausted by the quest for "outstanding", drown in endless (and meaningless) waves of data, receive daily reminders on how to speak to pupils, stress ourselves out with flawed performance management processes and seek solace in staffroom ranting. Such is the volume of day-to-day minutiae in which we are engaged, it is nigh on impossible to remember the greater purpose of the work we do. So, my new year's resolution for everyone engaged in education, from Mr Gove to this lowly NQT, is to remind ourselves of why we are pursuing this vital, noble and life-changing vocation. All the best for 2012."
Ryan Bate, NQT, Warrington.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Chris, I had missed it in the TES. We must all doing what is 'right' not what we get told!

    ReplyDelete

More than anything else, feedback helps us improve and develop.
So, please let me know what you think?
Chris